United Way of Greater Kansas City: Senior Vice President Marketing
Mission: To improve lives by mobilizing the caring power of Greater Kansas City
United Way’s work focuses on health, education and financial stability during the key times in a person’s life that affect their ability to reach their full potential:
• Healthy Beginnings – Healthy, thriving young children ready for school success.
• Prepared Youth – The next generation ready for career and life success.
• Thriving Adults & Families – Our region’s residents are financially secure and independent and are bolstered during tough times.
This leader believes that solutions to complex social problems are possible when Kansas Citians are united for transformative change. The Senior Vice President, Marketing will be responsible for strategically positioning the message of United Way of Greater Kansas City so as to raise awareness of our mission and stimulate giving and volunteer involvement.
Position Duties & Responsibilities
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Marketing and Brand Strategy: Work in collaboration with the Chief Marketing & Philanthropy Officer to set the brand positioning, messaging and campaign themes for the organization. Lead marketing communications for UWGKC.
• Brand management
Strategy, i.e., mission, positioning, key themes, campaign themes.
National-local integration and coordination with United Way.
• Digital and controlled media
Website management, including partnership with UWGKC’s digital agency.
Search marketing leadership and management.
Management of collateral (brochures, etc.)
• Creative services
Manage UWGKC’s graphic services needs, whether through on-staff resources or outsourced solutions.
• Lead the development of a more efficient marketing communications process within the organization, including implementation of a marketing and editorial calendar and an improved briefing-to-implementation process.
Communications: Manage staff and external resources responsible for communications via earned and social media channels. Manage staff responsible for internal communications to the UWGKC organization.
• Public relations (earned media)
Media outreach/media relations.
Corporate/executive communications, e.g., speechwriting.
• Social media
Manage staff responsible for UWGKC’s social media efforts.
-Content development and curation.
• Other as deemed appropriate
• Email and direct marketing
-Work closely with Senior Manager, Data & Analytics to ensure proper segmentation and targeting.
• Internal communications
-Regular communications to UWGKC staff via internal newsletter, campaign summaries, etc.
Experiential: Manage the Events Manager who is responsible for various UWGKC events and donor experiences, including major events (e.g., campaign kickoff event), specific group events (Tocqueville Society), and other engagement strategies as deemed appropriate.
Annual Goals: Work with Chief Marketing & Philanthropy Officer to establish quantifiable marketing and communications objectives and resulting tracking and analysis. Work with other members of the UWGKC team to ensure goals reflect, align with, and contribute to the broader goals of the organization.
Flexibility: UWGKC is evolving with our changing external environment. Flexibility is a key attribute for this position. A willingness to take on additional duties to ensure the success of the team is essential.
Team Management: Manage a team including an Events Manager, and Marketing Communications Manager.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and be physically present in the office. The requirements listed are representative of the basic knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Marketing and communications experience that fits with the responsibilities of this position.
• Demonstrated experience in a leadership position given that this role will manage others.
• Demonstrated success in leading cross-functional teams within an organization.
• Proven success in helping to build a brand, generate consumer awareness, and/or in acquisition and retention marketing.
• Non-profit experience is not a mandatory for this role but could be considered a plus.
• 5 or more years in marketing communications roles.
• B.A. or B.S. degree in Marketing, Journalism or Business; MBA or Masters, Marketing Communications is a definite plus.
The Senior Vice President, Marketing must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, a strong reputation for integrity and professionalism, demonstrated intellectual curiosity, ability to resolve conflict constructively, strong performance management and evaluation capabilities including the willingness and ability to ensure accountability, ability to build strong relationships both inside and outside UWGKC, ability to think strategically, and a commitment to fostering an inclusive environment consistent with UWGKC’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
This leader must have the ability to prepare, explain, and monitor performance, manage a diverse group of donors and volunteers, manage projects and workload, and engage constructively with the other members of the UWGKC team.
• Character: This leader follows the standards of behavior; displays honesty and integrity in every action and decision; is driven to achieve; is reflective and seeks authentic feedback, and is known as a continuous learner.
• Team Skills: This leader is a good listener; includes and engages others; is an effective facilitator; brings the right stakeholders into decisions and actions; and resolves conflicts respectfully.
• Functional Skills: This leader follows organizational policies and standards; has effective technology skills; demonstrates effective business acumen; is mindful and effectively leverages resources; has a key metrics focus in decisions, and is astute about how to improve outcomes.
• Interpersonal Skills: This leader has effective verbal and written skills; practices a consultative approach, develops and mentors staff; is willing and able to have crucial performance conversations; and influences and inspires others.
• Leading Change: This leader aligns his or her work to the strategies of UWGKC; understands external trends and prepares the organization accordingly; is seen as a change champion; is innovative, and is seen as a thought leader in his or her respective functional scope of work.
Salary & Benefits: UWGKC has a great benefits package that we would be happy to discuss with you if you are interested in this position with us.
How to Apply: Send an email to HumanResources@uwgkc.org