KCP&L/Westar Energy: Senior Communications Specialist
Evergy, the parent company of KCP&L and Westar Energy, powers lives with safe, clean, reliable electricity and the highest dedication to customer care. The Communications Specialist collaborates with teams across the company to develop strategic communications plans for issues and projects that directly impact customers or could impact the company’s reputation. The Communications Specialist is responsible for building relationships with stakeholders inside and outside the company, counselling colleagues at all levels of the organization and ensuring communications are strategic, thoughtful and customer focused.
• Develop and maintain internal relationships with stakeholders and subject matter experts to identify potential news stories and company spokespeople based on expertise, brand strategy and/or reputation management.
• Collaborate with teams to develop strategic communication plans and tactics (key messages, FAQs, customer communications, etc.) for issues and projects that directly impact customers and/or could impact customer perception of our companies.
• Be trusted adviser regarding corporate messaging strategy, including audience identification, communication methods and message development.
• Adapt to meet changing business requirements in a fast-paced environment.
• Make decisions and recommendations in evolving situations based on available information.
• Take technical, sometimes complicated information and make it relevant and understandable to customers.
• Understand marketing communications, social media and audience segmentation.
• Understand when and how to leverage multiple communications channels.
• Stay abreast of relevant best practices and trends.
• Be well organized and able to juggle multiple projects simultaneously and meet (often tight) deadlines.
• Identify visual and graphic communications opportunities.
• Have strong leadership and consultative skills.
• Have strong speaking, writing and editing skills.
• Develop business acumen and understanding of company’s purpose, people and operations.
• Perform miscellaneous job-related duties and complete special projects as required.
Education and Experience Requirements:
A Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing or related field is required. Candidates must have 7+ years of experience in media relations, content writing, marketing and/or relationship management. Experience in broadcast journalism is preferred.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities Required:
• Building communications strategies for complex topics.
• Exceptional interpersonal, communications and listening skills.
• Analytical thinking.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, with ability to structure content for multiple platforms.
• Extreme and constant discretion with confidential issues.
• Public speaking experience preferred.
• Media relations experience preferred.
• Strong adaptability and willingness to embrace change.
• Ability to juggle several tasks/deadlines and effectively manage time and schedules.
• Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
• Content publishing experience on multiple platforms with strong visual storytelling capabilities.
• Experience with Microsoft Office 365 suite, with particular emphasis on SharePoint, content management platforms.
• InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, social and digital technologies preferred.
• Ability to supplement basic job skills with creative problem solving and critical thinking.
• Potential evening and weekend assignments, including participation in on call activities.
Licenses, Certificates, Bonding and/or Testing Required:
Must have a valid driver’s license.
Normal office working conditions. Must have a satisfactory work record including good attendance.
Salary & Benefits pay range: $74,900- $93,600
How to Apply
Apply online at https://westarenergy.com/careers-overview
Resumes accepted through May 24, 2019