City of Hutchinson: Director of Public Information & Community Engagement
Under the general direction of the City Manager, this position is responsible for planning, creating and implementing multi-faceted communication and citizen engagement strategies between Hutchinson city government and its constituents. This is a professional position that is responsible for effectively and accurately communicating information about the City, promoting transparency and inviting the public to engage in the governing process so people who live, work, and play in Hutchinson better understand the services the City provides. This position requires a high level of communication skills of all types, and related technical proficiency, along with the ability to work independently with a high level of discretion and independent judgment.
• Serves as the principal adviser to the City Manager, department heads and other city officials on matters related to the dissemination of information to the public and media concerning the City’s programs, policies, and issues.
• Works with lead staff members on projects, programs and services to develop appropriate message theme and create communications plans. Makes recommendations and implements communication methods that enhance understanding of and/or to address public concerns about City government, operations and projects. Assists departments in gathering community feedback through outreach methods such as surveys and focus groups.
• Serves as content writer and editor for City’s digital communications, including websites, blogs, and social media. Supports and reviews department submittals and department communications. Works with staff to create content for the City’s web page and social media outlets including, but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube. Manages related third-party vendor relationships.
• Manages City relationships with the media to ensure quality and accurate dissemination of information. Monitors news coverage and trends; provides rapid assessment of issues that may affect the City and/or public. Prepares concise and accurate news/press releases and responses to media inquiries.
• Develops strategic and proactive communication plans to promote transparency and citizen engagement. Determines the method and media most suitable to reach concerned or affected citizens and develops mechanisms to measure and track levels of civic engagement over time.
• Implements creative means of obtaining input from citizens on issues important to the City. Assists departments in gathering community feedback through outreach methods such as surveys and focus groups. Identifies communications measures of success, analyzes, evaluates and reports community relations efforts and makes recommendations for improvements.
• Oversees the City’s branding and messaging of all marketing materials to ensure the integrity of the City’s visual identity. Leads the development of and approval of content for various multimedia productions including brochures, pamphlets, fliers and other marketing pieces for various departments as needed; work includes writing, editing, coordinating development of copy and data, proofreading, coordinating images, and printing proof approvals.
• Trains and supports other spokespersons, including elected officials, senior City staff and individuals from the Police and Fire Department. Assists public safety departments in creating, implementing and testing a crisis communication action plan designed to address public needs in the event of a crisis. Coordinates news conferences and supports all department media interactions as needed.
• Researches, writes, and participates in the development of and approval of content for various multimedia productions (e.g. PSA, video projects, slide shows, internet, Website, etc.). Provides assistance in the development of programs for the City’s cable channel and coordinate message with management staff.
• Performs or assists with other special projects or programs as assigned by the City Manager.
Qualifications Minimum Requirements Include: Bachelor’s degree in public relations, journalism, and mass communications or other closely related field, with a minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible work in journalism, public relations or mass communications with considerable experience with social media content and management. Previous related public-sector experience is preferred. Must be proficient in desktop publishing and graphics software. IABC, PRSA or other similar professional accreditation desirable.
Salary & Benefits Salary Range
$46,971 – $70,451 DOQ.
In addition, the City of Hutchinson offers an excellent total compensation package and strongly supports employee training and development.
How to Apply
For consideration, please complete on-line application and attach resume at:
Applicants are encouraged to communicate any salary expectations in their cover letter.